Friday, June 19, 2009

Blake goes to work, comes home with 2 chickens

I started this post for a couple days as an update, for 2 reasons. One, I was going to show the fruits of my labor. No, not my garden pics, like my friend Brooke and Steph have done, (my garden story is more like my friend Pam-Pam, I feel your pain sister!!!) but some egg pictures. fun, huh?




I FINALLY broke down and started eating the chicken eggs. I admit, I was a little intimidated at first. I mean come on, our chickens are named for goodness sakes. Do I really want to eat something that came out of our named pet's butt? Well, after 2 omelets and some boiled eggs later, YES. They are YUMMY! Very yummy. So thank you Abbey, for the yummy goodness.

Second thing I was gonna point out on the blog was my new gift from my Mother-in-Law. She saw this, thought of me, and hit the enter button on the computer to get it for me. Totally appropriate for the back door now. And funny.






So, then comes the 3rd part of the blog, the title of the post. I had a root canal this morning, fun and only half way done with that, and Blake emailed me and said don't worry about dinner-I'll take care of that. So, 5 hours later when he says he's picked up 2 chickens I think, cool-dinner. No, not the cooked-chicken-eat-for-dinner kind of chickens, the open the chicken coop honey, we have 2 more chicken kind. So, we started with 3, got 2 more, 1 died, and now have 2 more. We're busy chicken people.

Here are the new ones, Minni and Pearl.


Mean ol' Abbey who started pecking at them. She's mean, but she lays a yummy egg!

Here's our chicken family. Well, their butts.

5 comments:

The Blevins' said...

2 more!! Thats so funny! I love that you thought he was bringing home dinner and he brought home live chickens...if you had lived back in the day they would be dinnner! Too funny :). Welcome to the coop Mimi and Pearl

Pam said...

O Jen, what are we doing wrong with our gardens?? Well chesley is doing it all I just water and watch.

Wow, chickens. You do live in the country. But how nice to just go out and get your FRESH eggs each morning. Do they taste different than HEB eggs? Like homegrown tomatoes (well not mine) taste so good.??

Tootle Family said...

OH MY GOSH...that is hilarious. I too would have been hesitant at first. sorry about the root canal.

Alison said...

Love it! AND I gave you a shout out on the blog! XOXO

The Garrison's said...

OH Jen you make me laugh! And NO, I dont think I could ever eat something that came out of a PETS butt! Eeeek!