Friday, June 25, 2010

Blake's in AFRICA!!

My sweet husband is now officially in Iganga, Uganda, East Africa!

What, some of you might ask?? (Probably not, with only a couple of people that read my blog & you know the story, but oh well.)

Here's the short of it: We are privileged to be a part of our wonderful church, Riverside Community Church. There are 2 trips that are taken pretty regularly through the church in the past 4 years-one is a teaching trip to Israel and a the other is a mission trip to Africa. Blake was going to Israel, I was going to Africa (part of our 10 year plan of life). See, Blake is smart. He can beat anyone I know at Trivial Pursuit, well maybe not his dad, but anyone else. Blake loves to learn new things. He loves the bible and history, so it made sense that he wanted to go to Israel. Me, I love kids. I love to serve. I am not a trivial pursuit champion. I get excited if I get 1 question right in the whole game, and it's normally pop culture. I wanted to love on some kids, not hike through the desert & memorize scripture. I know, terrible, but everyone is here for a purpose.

So, about 9 months ago, they start planning the Africa trip. Again, I want to go. Not necessarily this time, I am thinking, but Africa is my trip. So Blake looks at me and says, "Babe, I think I am going to Africa." In my mind I think, heck no, that's my trip, but out of my mouth comes "OK!!!" What? Blake? Africa? No way. Now?? It's expensive! It's FAR! We have 2 young kids! How in the heck to we come up with the $? And for Blake to go?? But, even though those thoughts went quickly through my head, I was filled with a complete sense of peace & knowing that HE WAS GOING TO GO, and we would find the $ for him to do so.

Fast forward 9 months, after lots of planning, reading, praying, wonderful, WONDERFUL hearts (people) that gave towards his trip, our saving, and some tears, Blake has made it. I was very torn if I should even write about it. It's not my trip, it's his, but I have the blog, and this is my side of the story. So there.

Here are a couple of pictures from the airport on Wednesday when he left...


Now, that's a LOT of luggage!! The team was able to take soooo much stuff for the orphanage in Iganga. Everything from medicine & medical supplies...more than you could ever imagine!, school supplies, clothes, a post hole digger, vbs supplies, and sooo much more!

The boys were so excited for Blake, can't you tell by the look on Bran's face?

The 12 person team that are going to do God's work in Africa over the next 15 days!! Please pray for them by name: Colton, Brian, Kayla, Josh, Blake, Ryan, Jaimie, Liz, Amanda, Sue, Nicole and Tamara.

And...with their families! (that's my hand & camera case at the very far left above the Little Mermaid pillowcase. Whew...I made the picture! and not sure what Blake was doing with his face on this one. Think it was something like "can we please stop taking pictures now" face)

Sue on the trip is going to try and update her blog at http://www.sue-henderson.blogspot.com/ and there should be someone updating the http://www.riversidearoundtheworld.blogspot.com/ one too. Just in case you wanna get it from their point of view too!!

2 comments:

Jack and Joanie Dean said...

Great start on the blog. The girls are still at Phils houseso Blake will hear them singing as they get up each day. jack

The Blevins' said...

love it!! And you too will get to go to africa some day! So proud of you! And your heart to support your husband full heartedly.