Monday, September 23, 2013

Day 6 & 7

Man…to say the last 2 days have been a whirlwind is an understatement. Let me see if I can try and write.

Yesterday was Sunday, church day! We all piled in bus after another good breakfast to head to Kokombo for church service. Kokombo is a village where Tree of Life has a medical clinic and a place for worship. As soon as we pulled up, we were greeted by drums and people singing and dancing! So much that I was not sure that we would make it in the gate without running multiple people over. All loves were spared as we pulled in and were greeted by the most magnificent greeting ever. Well, they are all good, but this one was grand! Singing, dancing, drumming, shaking, smiling, on and on. The greeting lasted about 20 minutes before we headed into the church. I should also mention, that Jen Taylor got a pretty good case of car sickness on the way there. Boy 'o boy, it stinks. By the time we got into the church, I felt like I was on a boat in the middle of the ocean. I love to live by "fake it till you make it", which I still tried to live by here in Iganga. So, a lot of the church service is somewhat of a rocky blur, but I remember laughing when Pastor Stephen stood up and gave us the order of service. I can remember, "the women will lead us in a song, then another song, then another song, then another song, then the introduction, then another song," etc, or something to that effect. :) I tried my best to keep my head up and watch all that I could! It was incredible. The singing and dancing was nothing like I have ever seen before, and they worship with ALL they have, nothing held back. So cool. About an hour or so into the service, I had to be taken to the clinic. Sweet Sue said I looked terrible and that my face was as white as the little picture of Africa on my shirt. I was able to listen to the rest of the church service from the window, which was still beautiful. Not long after service ended, the meds finally kicked in, and I was on my swaying way again. :)

After lunch, we were able to take a hike up a hill. A big hill. And we were not alone. We were followed by several children, all making this big long hike with us, one little girl no older than 6 carrying her little brother on her back the whole…entire…way. I could not believe these children running and sneaking around us on this pretty tough hike, barefoot. Crazy. The top of what Sue named Lee Bowers hill (because his group did it for the first time with Tree of Life this summer, and we don't know the name) was breathtaking. Such a beautiful site. On the way back home, we were able to stop at a house where on of the elders of the village lived to give him a t-shirt. The man was beyond grateful, and offered each one of us some of his land on the hillside for us to build anything we wanted, because he wanted us to be his neighbors. For real. Land for a t-shirt. Judy handed the reusable bag that we were holding the t-shirt in to the sweet old lady, and she bowed down at Judy's feet and rubbed her face on them. Humbleness beyond belief. These sweet people love people more that we ever understand. When we got back to Kokombo, we were able to spend some time meeting a sweet lady named Jackie while 4 of the team members went back up the hill for a quick little trip to hand a mercy back to the sweet elderly man. By quick trip, I mean 1 1/2 hours. :) Uganda time…it's it's own mystery. Jackie was found by a missionary of Tree of Life about a year ago. She was very, very sick. Sweet Jackie is now healing, and will be able to go back to her own village in about 6 months when she is done with treatments. She is now able to go and tell HIS and her story of redemption and healing, all because someone said yes.

*insert a couple funnies here: Jaimie Piatnik and Josh Dean are stinking comedians I tell you. Well, we all are, and that has brought SUCH life to this trip!! While the group of 4 went back up the hill, Jaimie has another huge group of kids that followed them chanting "Jai-mie, Jai-mie, Jai-mie" and another time "Josh is weird, Josh is weird, Josh is weird". Another funny that Josh and Jaimie love to do is scream like a monster and chase the stinking kids. I can't imagine what they are thinking. Here are all these "mzungus" (white people), that they maybe have not ever seen before, and there's Josh, screaming and chasing them. No wonder the toddlers sometimes cry when they see us. Yes, I have made kids cry. Apparently waving is scary. 

Today was another wonderful day. We were able to go back to Top Hills, of course after making several stops. Our goal today was to make teacher desks, take group and individual pictures of each class from Nursery - Primary 7, and pass out mercy bags. Well, our plan is not always THE plan. We managed to I think make 1 desk, take 2 full class pictures and no mercy bags. Us = 0, God = + another one. Today was the day the rains came. And came. And came. So much so, they had to have the classes take a break because it was raining so hard you could not hear the teachers. So we sat inside and just visited. The rain was powerful and beautiful. It was loud, but peaceful at the same time. 

After the rain stopped, we started back up again with pictures. These kids…their faces. I was gifted the opportunity to be the photographer. These kids lit up at the site of the camera. They were so proud. Tucking in their shirts, and smiling. Just perfectly. You could almost see their story on their face. Precious stories that our God is redeeming by the day. Oh, it was great.

With the rain comes the red mud, and I was really looking forward to the roller coaster ride home. Our driver Haji is the best. I laughed as I was able to move to the front seat next to him today. Driving here is really like a big huge game of frogger and chicken at the same time. No traffic lights, no stop signs, just the person with the biggest vehicle gets the right away. Hilarious. I looked over after one of our stops today and watched Haji put on his seatbelt. I looked down, no seatbelt here! I pulled on his and asked where ours were?!? Hadi just let our a big 'ol belly laugh. (That was the time for a quick transportation prayer. :) )

We were able to stop in the rain on the way home to go by one of our Pastor's house, Irene and her husband Patrick. This was the first Ugandan house welcome party we have experienced. So humbling as we walk into their home, and instead of thanking them of brining us in from the rain, they thank and bless us for coming. I hope and pray I learn some of that from their culture. It was a precious time of singing and prayer for us, and us doing the same for their family and their village.

One more stop on the way back to the Mum…back to the kid's house from Hope Africa. It was for another walk we go, as the roads were too bad for the bus to make the trip down. Game time…this time more like a slip and slide. Laughs and more laughs. The kids are so sweet. They piled us all into their cooking area, which has a roof, so we wouldn't get as wet. There were about 40 or so us piled in a room no more than 10x15. We played some mean games of hand clap and "statue", where you stay as still as you can. Then someone laughs and everyone cracks up, until someone points and yells statue again. These sweet simple games bring so much joy to those kiddos.

I am filled every minute of each day with such sweet emotions. There are so many new things to see; I wish I was carrying around a camcorder. But like @ my own kids games, when I am video taping or snapping photos, I feel like I am not "all in". Here, I am trying to be all in. Because of that, I am going to share photos with Sue soon. Promise.

Don't forget to be checking Sue and Liz' blog over on the right. They give new and beautiful perspective from someone who has been and experienced this several times. AND sometimes between the 3 of us, we can almost get somewhat of a complete story. :)

Miss you all. 

Babe, please tell the boys I miss them so. I love you.

Blessings,
Jen Taylor





1 comment:

Page's said...

So sweet! That's all I can say...reading your blog and the others is what I find myself looking forward to each day you're there. Thanks for taking us along with you!
Blessings to you and all!
Julie