Friday, September 20, 2013

Today really counts as day 1!



FROM SUE-

Hi everyone,



Today really counts as day 1! I have to say of all the trips I have been on I think today was the best! We spent the morning getting errands run (not a lot of fun, but necessary) and then headed out to Top Hills (a school UTOL sponsors). We had nothing on the agenda but to build relationships. No projects, no time frames, no nada. I wanted everyone to get their feet wet and to sink into the culture at their own pace. First, I had told the team to prepare for the airline to spray the plane when we landed in Kigali and that didn't happen. Then I told them to be prepared for the kids to be lined up to meet the bus. Well, that didn't happen either. We drove right into Top Hills and the front lawn area was empty. Not a soul. But then it happened. The kids came around the corner in mass. It was awesome and so the greetings began. From a personal standpoint I got to see Rashidah and my day was made. She hasn't grown hardly at all since last year, and she is much shyer. I took her hand and took her onto the bus and showed her all the pictures I had of her from last year that I keep on my phone. Little by little the smile came back. Then the shrug. Then before my eyes she was back. Grinning from ear to ear. Meanwhile Glenn had pulled out the guitar and he disappeared beneath a gaggle of kids. You could barely see his eyes above the crowd. He was amazing. If he has a single callous left on his fingers I will be surprised. He played and played and played to the point that he was reduced to playing "Old McDonald Had A Farm". I bet you didn't know there were so many animals on this planet! He had their full attention. In fact, many of them (and I mean many) sat and listened right through lunch. We finally had to leave and eat just so the kids would do the same. Emily was immediately attached to a group of girls. I think she was really happy to have some kids to play with. She was certainly in her element. Paige's heart is definitely for the kids as is most everyone's. Today was just so neat watching everyone fall into their niche.



After a really good meal of rice, beans, vegetables, chapati, and chicken (which Jaimie had not yet made friends with), we broke into teams of three and went into the surrounding area to meet the people and give mercy bags. We filled the mercy bags at the school and had a group of girls help us. As we walked off the school property each group had many kids holding our hands and going with us. It was a really sweet moment. My team consisted of Jen, Emily, Pastor Wilson and myself. What an experience we had. In the last house there was a mother with a two and a half week old baby. As we were finishing up (five of people today accepted Christ) the mother handed this baby to Jen. I thought we would never get out of there. Actually, I could see Jen trying to figure out to sneak the baby out without the mother noticing. I do give Jen Kudos. She did leave the baby and we made the trek back to the school promising all the new believers we would bring them a Bible on Monday when we return to the area. One of the ladies told us that she use to have a Bible but then she married a Muslim who refused to let her have one. He recently died and she is now really excited to be getting a new one!



Then we returned home and Phil, Susan and her two kids, Scovia, Kenneth, Ken and Kevin (both from Huntsville) came and joined us for dinner. Phil talked about his ministry. Tomorrow we head out to Bulubandi in the morning and then we plan to spend the rest of the day at Phil's. The Riverside folks are all excited to see the children they sponsor.



On the plane ride here from Amsterdam we ran into a medical mission team that works outside of Kampala and then in a village close to Iganga. The leader was a wonderful woman who I spent quite a bit of time talking to. Her team is actually staying at the Mum next week so I am hoping we get to talk some more and share information about what they do. It continues to amaze me how many people come to this country and fall in love with it.



Thank you all for your continued prayer. The team is tired but continues to go strong. 



Love you. Sue

No comments: