Thursday, September 19, 2013

We made it!

After getting to the SA airport @ 10:30am Tuesday, a flight to Detroit, flight to Amsterdam, flight to Kigali, we are now about to land in Entebbe at 2:15ish SA time, 10:15pm . We will be staying at a place called Banana Village tonight in Entebbe.

Flights were nuts-o. I'm not a big traveler, probably been in a plane 5 times in my life. Big 'ol airport in Detroit, there was one section that I called club Detroit. It had a colorful crazy colored ceiling. I danced all the way through. :) the next flight to Amsterdam can only be described as L. O. N. G. And cramped. And long. No sleep. We tried to sleep on the floor of the Amsterdam airport. It didn't work, but we did manage to get some Starbucks, for $13 for a coffee & a muffin. The next flight to Kigali was much much better. Not as crowded, and by then, exhaustion set in and I think I slept for a couple hours. I've seen more movies in a day that I ever thought I could, but can't remember since it all has flown by. :)

I am a little sad to be getting here @ 10pm so that I will have to wait till tomorrow morning to get to see Africa.

Till then friends. Please pray for a good nights rest tonight in Entebbe, as I bunk up with 3 others.

Airport in Entebbe-we did well with luggage. Just lost 1 for now, and it was even a carry on! Sorry Liz. They made us check in at last minute and her bag is still in Kigali. They promise it will be here sometime before she leaves in 28 days. :)

The ride to banana village was an easy introduction into what we will see today. It was pitch dark, not much electricity around. People were everywhere. Since there isn't much electricity, people stand out side & visit. Some right on the street!

We got to Banana Village and found our rooms and headed to bed pretty quickly. It was after midnight, and we were all a little delirious. I don't remember much except for using Sue's deodorant. :)

We woke up to the sound of roosters in the distance at about 6:30am. I missed the call to prayer that most others heard @ 6. I was still in dream land. The hotel is beautiful. We started with a devotion from Sue, and a sweet song from Glenn. Breakfast was some star instant coffee, which was pretty good, scrambled eggs, a banana and passion fruit juice.

Oh goodness...about 8 hours later and we just arrived in Iganga! Too much to write and will write more soon!

Blessings,
Jen

-sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

The Blevins' said...

yeah!!! you are there. You made it. I am so so very proud of you!! I cannot wait to hear of your adventures. Thank you for taking the time to chronicle these crazy times, those of us on the mainland are much appreciative. Love you friend--praying for you--now go love on some beautiful people.

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary to my beautiful, loving, devoted, strong, and amazing bride. Although you are miles away, you're in my heart always, and I sincerely can't imagine life without you. You make me smile and you make me a better man. Thank you for 15 wonderful years. I can't wait to see what God has for us next.

With all my love,

Blake

Michele said...

Ditto on the Yeah front!!! I need more posts from my friend Jen! Missing her already and can't wait to hear more about Africa
and all the adventures God has in store for you!! Love you Friend...